131 Wedding Vows & Instructions For Creating Your Own
Wedding vows have been around for around 500 years.
So it’s no wonder there are so many of them to choose from.
But vows are supposed to be personal, something that will express to your soon-to-be spouse just how important they are to you.
So, how do you choose the perfect vows for your big day?
Welcome to your answer.
We’ve compiled 131 of the best wedding vows out there as well as information on how to make them work for YOU.
First things first: How to write wedding vows
If you are writing your own wedding vows, you may be surprised by just how challenging it can be!
Fortunately, marriage has been around pretty much since the beginning of time, which means many have come before you in search of the perfect wedding vows.
And because of this, there is tons of wisdom and advice on the topic of how to write wedding vows.
Here are some of the top time-tested advice for writing marital vows that will inspire your love ‘til death do you part.
Do your homework
If you need help writing wedding vows, a great first step is to do some research on what is already out there.
We suggest reading vows from a variety of traditions and religions.
Drawing from a wide range of styles will help you figure out what elements are important to you and provide a wonderful jumping off point for heartfelt and creative wedding vows that express how you truly feel.
Incorporate your own love story
As you put pen to paper, be sure to reflect on your relationship.
You don’t need to tell your entire love story in your vows (your guests will thank you for this!) but incorporating details that are important to you and your partner will make your vows extra meaningful.
This reflection will also inspire you and (hopefully) put an end to any writer’s block that you may be experiencing.
While writing your wedding vows, ask yourself important questions such as “Why have I chosen this person to be my partner?” and “What do I love most about him or her?”
You will most likely find that the answers to these questions provide all the material that you need for earnest and heartfelt vows.
Make promises you can keep
One key element that should be included in all wedding vows is the promises that you want to make to your partner.
Regarding this topic, wedding expert Christopher Shelley tells The Knot that vows should “Include promises that are broad in scope, such as ‘I promise to always support you,’ as well as very specific to the two of you, like ‘I promise to say “I love you” every night before bed.'”
According to the professional wedding photography studio, Tailored Fit Photography, wedding vows should also include a nod to the future, referencing relationship goals, shared dreams, and the elements of marriage that you are most looking forward to.
To thine ownself be true
Our ultimate tip for how to write wedding vows is to be true to yourself and make sure your vows sound like, well, YOU.
It can be easy to get wrapped up in flowery language or a formal tone as you pen your vows, but ultimately, you want your vows to sound heartfelt and genuine.
By sticking to your gut and not trying to be someone that you aren’t, your vows will naturally show your spouse your truest feelings.
Get ready to get inspired: 131 wedding vow examples
So now that you know the basics of how to write wedding vows, it is time to get inspired.
Below we share 131 wedding vow examples that we absolutely adore.
These wedding vow ideas include pretty much everything out there, including:
- Traditional Vows
- Wedding vows for him
- Wedding vows for her
- Funny wedding vows
- Non-traditional wedding vows
- Romantic wedding vows
- Famous TV and Movie wedding vows
- Literary wedding vows
- Wedding vows from songs
- Real wedding vows
Traditional wedding vows that still ring true today
Whether you plan to stick with traditional wedding vows or are piecing together something completely outside of the box, the beauty of classic wedding vows is always a wonderful place to start for inspiration.
Below are some of the most common traditional wedding vows from a variety of religious and cultural traditions around the world.
If you’ve ever seen a classic wedding film or attended a traditional Protestant wedding ceremony, chances are these classic vows will ring a bell.
“I, _____, take thee, _____, to be my wedded wife/husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God’s holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee my faith.”
“_____, I now take you to be my wedded wife/husband, to live together after God’s ordinance in the holy relationship of marriage. I promise to love and comfort you, honor and keep you, and forsaking all others, I will be yours alone as long as we both shall live.”
Within Jewish wedding traditions, the couple typically states the below (in Hebrew) as they exchange rings:
“I am my beloved’s and my beloved is mine.”
In addition to this beautiful tradition, the Seven Blessings known as the Sheva Berakhot (below) are also recited during the ring exchange.
“Blessed are You, Adonai, our God, Ruler of the universe, gladden the beloved companions as You gladdened Your creatures in the garden of Eden. Blessed are You, Adonai, Who gladdens this couple. Blessed are You, Adonai, our God, Ruler of the universe, Who created joy and gladness, loving couples, mirth, glad song, pleasure, delight, love, loving communities, peace, and companionship. Adonai, our God, let there soon be heard … the voice of the loving couple, the sound of their jubilance from their canopies and of the youths from their song-filled feasts. Blessed are You Who causes the couple to rejoice, one with the other.
We bless God for creating joy and happiness, bride and groom, mirth song, gladness and rejoicing, love and harmony, peace and companionship; and we thank God for letting this bride and groom to rejoice together.”
For brides and grooms being wed within the Catholic church, this classic vow is typically a part of the ceremony. This is another traditional vow that you have most likely heard before.
“I, _____, take you, _____, for my lawful wife/husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part. I will love and honor you all the days of my life.”
In traditional Cherokee weddings, there is no exchange of wedding vows, however, the below blessing is read as a part of the ceremony.
“God in heaven above please protect the ones we love. We honor all you created as we pledge our hearts and lives together. We honor Mother Earth and ask for our marriage to be abundant and grow stronger through the seasons. We honor fire and ask that our union be warm and glowing with love in our hearts. We honor wind and ask that we sail through life safe and calm as in our father’s arms. We honor water to clean and soothe our relationship — that it may never thirst for love. With all the forces of the universe you created, we pray for harmony as we grow forever young together. Amen.”
“I, _____, take you, _____, to be my wife/husband, and I do promise and covenant, before God and these witnesses, to be your loving and faithful husband/wife in plenty and in want, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, as long as we both shall live.”
“I, _______ take you ______ to be my husband/wife, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our friendship and love you today, tomorrow, and forever.
I will trust you and honor you
I will laugh with you and cry with you.
Through the best and the worst,
Through the difficult and the easy.
Whatever may come I will always be there.
As I have given you my hand to hold,
So I give you my life to keep.
In the Name of God, I , ______, take you, ______, to be my [wife/husband], to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until we are parted by death. This is my solemn vow.
“I, _____, take you, _____, to be my wife/husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish always.”
In Hindu wedding ceremonies, the couple walks together around a flame that is lit in honor of the Hindu god of fire, Agni, while reciting these vows:
“Let us take the first step to provide for our household a nourishing and pure diet, avoiding those foods injurious to healthy living.
Let us take the second step to develop physical, mental, and spiritual powers.
Let us take the third step to increase our wealth by righteous means and proper use.
Let us take the fourth step to acquire knowledge, happiness, and harmony by mutual love and trust.
Let us take the fifth step so that we are blessed with strong, virtuous, and heroic children.
Let us take the sixth step for self-restraint and longevity.
Finally, let us take the seventh step and be true companions and remain lifelong partners by this wedlock.”
“I, ______ , take you, to be my (wife/husband), and these things I promise you: I will be faithful to you and honest with you; I will respect, trust, help, and care for you; I will share my life with you; I will forgive you as we have been forgiven; and I will try with you better to understand ourselves, the world, and God; through the best and worst of what is to come, and as long as we live.”
“In the name of God, I, _____, take you, _____, to be my wife/husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until parted by death. This is my solemn vow.”
“In the presence of God and these our friends, I take thee to be my wife/husband, promising with divine assistance to be unto thee a loving and faithful husband/wife so long as we both shall live.”
Similar to Cherokee tradition, an exchange of vows is not typically a part of the Apache wedding ceremony.
However, the below blessing is included in ceremonies.
“Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter for the other. Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth to the other. Now there will be no loneliness, for each of you will be companion to the other. Now you are two persons, but there is only one life before you. May beauty surround you both in the journey ahead and through all the years. May happiness be your companion and your days together be good and long upon the earth.”
“Treat yourselves and each other with respect, and remind yourselves often of what brought you together. Give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness, and kindness that your connection deserves. When frustration, difficulties, and fear assail your relationship, as they threaten all relationships at one time or another, remember to focus on what is right between you, not only the part which seems wrong. In this way, you can ride out the storms when clouds hide the face of the sun in your lives — remembering that even if you lose sight of it for a moment, the sun is still there. And if each of you takes responsibility for the quality of your life together, it will be marked by abundance and delight.”
Baptist wedding vows can include either “call and response” vows, which go:
Officiant: “Will you, _______ have _______ to be your (wife/husband)? Will you love her/him, comfort and keep her/him, and forsaking all others remain true to her/him, as long as you both shall live?”
Bride/Groom: “I will.”
The other traditional Baptist wedding vow is the short and to-the-point option below.
“I, _____, take thee, to be my (wife/husband), and before God and these witnesses I promise to be a faithful and true (husband/wife).”
“I,_____, take you, _____, to be my wife/husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love and honor you all the days of my life.”
Although vows are not typically a part of Muslim weddings, they are occasionally incorporated into the ceremony.
Bride: “I, ___, offer you myself in marriage in accordance with the instructions of the Holy Quran and the Holy Prophet, peace and blessing be upon him. I pledge, in honesty and with sincerity, to be for you an obedient and faithful wife.”
Groom: “I pledge, in honesty and sincerity, to be for you a faithful and helpful husband.”
18. Eastern Orthodox
Many orthodox ceremonies incorporate silent vows into the wedding ceremony. However, in the Russian Orthodox church, the below vows are typically spoken aloud.
“I, ___, take you, ___, as my wedded wife/husband and I promise you love, honor and respect; to be faithful to you, and not to forsake you until death do us part. So help me God, one in the Holy Trinity and all the Saints.”
Wedding vows for grooms
If you are a groom searching for the perfect wedding vows to show your partner just how much you really care, here are some of the most popular wedding vows for him. You can use these vows as they are or simply let them serve as inspiration as you are writing vows for her.
19. “Today, _____, I join my life to yours, not merely as your husband, but as your friend, your lover, and your confidant. Let me be the shoulder you lean on, the rock on which you rest, the companion of your life. With you, I will walk my path from this day forward.” (Source)
20. “I pledge to listen to your advice, and occasionally take it
I pledge to never take score… even if I’m totally winning
I pledge to always admire your huge, strong, kind and determined heart
I pledge that I will love you” (Source)
21. “In your arms, I have found home
In your eyes, I have found compassion
In your heart, I have found love
In your soul, I have found a kindred spirit
You are my everything” (Source)
22. “You know me better than anyone else in this world and somehow still you manage to love me. You are my best friend and one true love. There is still a part of me today that cannot believe that I’m the one who gets to marry you.” (Source)
23. “Thank you for standing here with me today as we create the ultimate team for life.
I will be by your side and always love who you are, as well as the person you will grow to be.
I will work hard to understand your wishes, desires, fears, and dreams and will strive to make you happy.
I will be there for you when you need me, whenever you need me, and I will support you through misfortune, and celebrate your triumphs.
I will keep our lives exciting, adventurous, and full of passion.
I can’t wait to start this new and exciting adventure with the person I love most in the world.” (Source)
24. “What is a husband? I must admit, I’m not sure. All I know is that I am devoted to you completely and am made a better person because of your love. A husband then is a thing that a good marriage makes, molds, and creates whole. If that is what a husband means, then I am prepared to be yours.” (Source)
25. “ ____, I love you. You are my best friend. Today I give myself to you in marriage. I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle.
I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple, and when it is an effort.
I promise to cherish you and to always hold you in highest regard. These things I give to you today, and all the days of our life.” (Source)
26. “You have made me the happiest man on the world today by agreeing to share your life with me.
I promise to cherish and respect you.
I promise to care for you and protect you.
I promise to comfort you and encourage you.
I promise to be with you for all of eternity.” (Source)
27. “I promise to be your faithful husband. I vow to love you when the sun shines, when the rain falls, in sickness, and in health, through good times and bad. When you look at this ring, think of me and remember that I love you always.” (Source)
28. “I Michael, take you, Jessica to be my lawfully wedded (wife) and chief tennis doubles partner, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, in sickness and in health, for when we win and the very, very rare occasion when we lose. I promise to love, honor, and cherish you, to return your serves and do my best not to foot fault. This I vow to you.” (Source)
29. “I make this vow in the presence of God, family, and friends. I love you because you taught me what real love is. I am a better person as a result of knowing you. I decided I want to have a family with you. I want to grow old with you. If you will have me as your husband, I promise to love you, be faithful, encourage, and support you. I will be honest in my communications with you. I will put no other in front of you. I will stand by your side for the rest of my life.” (Source)
Wedding vows for brides
Totally stumped on how to show your partner how much they mean to you? If so, here are some beloved and time-tested “vows for her,” which should serve as a jumping off point as you search for the perfect wedding vows.
30. “I stand before you as a woman with no reservations, choosing to spend the rest of my life with a man/woman for whom I have the utmost respect and love. I long to grow with you in mind and in spirit and to live together all the days of our lives.” (Source)
31. “I come with you. Let’s travel together down this winding path whose every step is an adventure, whose perilous trials will be diminished because I hold your hand, and whose joys will be exponentially blessed because you are by my side. I am proud to be your wife, ecstatic to discover what is next in our lives, and thrilled that our every day will be together on this adventure.” (Source)
32. “______, I take you to be my husband from this point forward, to join with you and to share all that is to come, to be your faithful wife, to give and to receive, to speak and to listen, to inspire and to respond. This will be a commitment made in love, kept in faith, and eternally made new. (Source)
33. “I promise to be your best friend, consoler, navigator and your wife. And finally, I pledge to you myself.” (Source)
34. “I pledge to remain your companion and friend, I promise to be with you always, to care for you, and to love you no matter how far apart we may be. I will always show an interest in the things you do and your ideas. I will be with you in your heart, and keep you safely in mine. When you are happy, I will be happy with you. When you are sad, I will make you smile. I will encourage you to continue growing as an individual as we work toward our mutual goals. I stand with you as your friend and wife and acknowledge that your choices are valid ones. I promise to give you love, honesty, trust and commitment, and, in general, keep your life interesting as we grow old together.” (Source)
35. “I stand before you as a woman with no reservations, choosing to spend the rest of my life with a man/woman for whom I have the utmost respect and love. I long to grow with you in mind and in spirit and to live together all the days of our lives.” (Source)
36. “Take me as your wife and I shall take you as my husband. Together we will have and hold each other, know each other’s secrets, learn each other’s every need, and try every day to fulfill the promise that we make to each other today.” (Source)
Seriously funny wedding vows that will have guests rolling in the aisles
If serious and romantic isn’t your thing, don’t worry!
Just because it is your wedding day, doesn’t mean you can’t be true to yourself — and your sense of humor.
There are plenty of hilarious vows out there that will have your guests crying tears of joy.
Here are a few of our favorite comedic standouts when it comes to funny wedding vows that are guaranteed to keep the mood light.
37. “GROOM: I, _____, choose you, _____, to be my wife. In front of our friends and family gathered here. I promise to love and cherish you throughout the good times and bad times. I promise to try to remember to put my dirty clothes in the hamper and to replace the toilet paper roll when it’s empty. I promise to remember this day with love and roses. I will love you always.”
“BRIDE: I, _____, choose you, _____, to by my husband. In front of our friends and family, I promise to love and cherish you through every obstacle that may come into our path. I promise to learn how to check the oil in my car and how to roll up a garden hose. I will comfort you when your team loses and drink beer with you when they win. I will love you always.” (Source)
38. “I promise to love and cherish you as much as I do our dog, _____. From this day forward, I will lint roll the chairs whenever your parents visit. I will love you in sickness and in health, as long as you take care of the vet visits. I promise to cuddle with you as much as I do _____ and pick up treats for you whenever he gets some, too.” (Source)
39. “I, _____, choose you, _____, to be my wife. Before our friends and family gathered here I promise to love and cherish you throughout the good times and bad times. I promise to try to remember to put down the toilet seat and to replace the toilet roll when it finishes. I promise to remember this day with love and roses. I will love you always.” (Source)
40. “I promise to love you as much as the Chicago Cubs and not hold your black-and-white striped dress against you. From this day forward, I will listen to all of your complaints about the mall if you say them during the offseason and promise to retire my baseball cap and face paint for public outings. I will love you in sickness and in health, from this day forward, until death parts us or you become a White Sox fan.” (Source)
41. “I, _____, take you, _____, to be my awful wedded wife, to have and to scold, from this day fast forwarded for better but not worse, for richer, and poorer, forget sickness only in health, to loathe and to cherish, till suspicious death do we part.” (Source)
42. “Do you take _____ to be your husband,
to have and to hold from this day forward for better or for worse,
for richer or for poorer,
in sickness and in health,
to love and to cherish until death or zombies do you part?” (Source)
43. “I promise to love you, respect you, support you, and above all else, make sure I’m not just yelling at you because I’m hungry.” (Source)
44. “I promise to be the ears that always listen to you even when we are really old and can’t hear that well.” (Source)
45. “I promise to grow with you and support you,
I promise to be patient, understanding, and kind,
I promise to listen and share,
I promise to create, to explore, and be curious,
In good times and in bad, I promise to love you,
I will make sure there is always coffee,
I promise to be my best for myself, for us, and for our future together.” (Source)
46. I wish I could promise to always be as roguishly handsome as I am today, but, well … On second thought, have you seen my dad? Maybe that’s a promise I can keep. (Source)
Non-traditional wedding vows for every type of wedding
If you are searching for modern vows that don’t come from a specific faith or culture, these non-traditional wedding vows may be exactly what you are looking for.
These vows prove that just because you are bucking tradition, doesn’t mean your vows can’t be filled with romance and meaning.
47. “Because of you, I laugh, I smile, I dare to dream again. I look forward with great joy to spending the rest of my life with you, caring for you, nurturing you, being there for you in all life has for us, and I vow to be true and faithful for as long as we both shall live.” (Source)
48. “I, _____], take you, _____, to be my lawfully wedded [husband/wife]. I take you with all your faults and all your strengths, as I offer myself to you with all my faults and all my strengths. Before these witnesses, I pledge to share my life openly with you, to speak the truth to you in love. I promise to show up every day and try. I promise to honor and care for you, to cherish and encourage your own fulfillment as an individual through all the changes of our lives. I choose you as the person with whom I will spend my life.” (Source)
49. Today, a day of music and celebration,
I pledge to share my life with you.
Whether the days that come are happy or sad,
I will live them with you.
________, I give myself to you as your husband/wife. (Source)
50. “I promise to remember that neither one of us is perfect. But will strive to remind myself of the ways we are perfect for each other.” (Source)
51. “_____, I love you. You are my best friend. Today I give myself to you in marriage. I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle. I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple, and when it is an effort. I promise to cherish you and to always hold you in highest regard. These things I give to you today, and all the days of our life.” (Source)
52. “_____, I take you to be my wife/husband from this time onward,
to join with you and to share all that is to come, to be your faithful husband/wife,
to give and to receive, to speak and to listen, to inspire and to respond;
a commitment made in love, kept in faith, and eternally made new.” (Source)
53. “I promise to be there when you need me,
to fill your days with sunshine,
to comfort you and encourage you,
to help you reach your goals,
to be your best friend ever and to
love you all my life with all my heart.” (Source)
54. I wish I could stand up here and promise you the world, but the world isn’t mine to give. What I do promise is my world and all it entails. My love, support, passion, compassion, and enthusiasm. (Source)
55. “_____, the sun smiles on us today, our wedding day, and how can it not, for our love is stronger than forever, and our hearts beat together as one. I promise to be a true and faithful partner, from this day forward, in all life’s circumstances, as we face them together. In the joys and sorrows, the good times and bad, in sickness or in health, I will always be there for you, to comfort you, love you, honour and cherish you, now and forevermore.” (Source)
56. “Whatever lies ahead, good or bad, we will face together.
Distance may test us for a time, and time may tire us.
But if we look to each other first, we will always see a friend.
(Name), look to me for all the days to come;
today I take my place as your (husband/wife).” (Source)
57. “_____, all that I am, and all that I have, I offer to you, in love and in joy. From this day forward I will love and comfort you, hold you close, prize you above all others, and remain faithful to you all the days of our lives.” (Source)
Romantic wedding vows for the hopeless romantic in us all
If you are a hopefully romantic on the hunt for passionate wedding vows that will truly express the way you feel on the inside, we have you covered.
Below are some of the most romantic and emotional wedding vows that we’ve read to inspire you on your quest to show your one-true-love how much you really care.
58. “I pledge my love to you on this day. You’re everything that I dreamed of. You’re everything that I need. From the day we met, I know God has answered my prayers. Our love for each other is heaven sent. So, I promise to be here with you, forever, always and for eternity.” (Source)
59. “You were my reason back then, my reason now, my reason every day. You strengthen my weaknesses, bring focus to my dreams. Here and now I pledge my life to yours, that your dreams become my dreams. No matter where life leads me, I know that as long as you are there, that is where I am meant to be.” (Source)
60. “Today I affirm my love for you and vow to share my life with you in everything—to respect and love you. You are the most generous person I have ever known—kind, honest, and beautiful/handsome. I take you to be my wife/husband, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health. From this day forward you shall be first in my heart and our souls shall be together as one.” (Source)
61. “I choose to give you my whole heart, with abiding courage and faith. I choose to laugh, cry and grow with you. To respect, encourage and support you. I choose our unconditional love. I choose our forever.” (Source)
62. “Millions of people around the world spend a lot of their time finding that one special person to be called their true love. Some are lucky to find the person they want to call as their significant other while others spend the rest of their lives looking for that true love but never finding it. I count myself as among the lucky ones to have finally found you.” (Source)
63. I give you this ring. Wear it with love and joy. As this ring has no end, neither shall my love for you. / I choose you to be my (wife/husband) this day and forevermore. (Source)
64. “I feel like everything in my life has led me to you. My choices, my heartbreaks, my regrets. Everything. When we’re together, I know my past has been worth it. Because if I had done one thing differently, I might never have met you.” (Source)
65. “You have been my best friend, mentor, playmate, confidant, and my greatest challenge. But most importantly, you are the love of my life and you make me happier than I could ever imagine and more loved than I ever thought possible. You have made me a better person, as our love for one another is reflected in the way I live my life. So I am truly blessed to be a part of your life, which as of today becomes our life together.” (Source)
66. “_____, I love you. You have brought such joy to my life. Thank you for loving me as I am and taking me into your heart. I promise to walk by your side forever and to love, help and encourage you in all that you do. I will take the time to talk to you to listen to you and to care for you. Through all the changes of our lives, I will be there for you always as strength in need, a comfort in sorrow, a counselor in difficulty, and a companion in joy. Everything I am and everything I have is yours/ now and forevermore. This is my promise to you.” (Source)
67. I humbly give you my hand, my heart, and my life as I promise my faith and love to you. My love for you is eternal, just like the ring I give you today. It’s a circle without end. Just like this ring, it’s made of incorruptible substance, my commitment and love to you will never fail. (Source)
68. “(Name), our miracle lies in the path we have chosen together.
I enter this marriage with you knowing that the true magic of love
is not to avoid changes, but to navigate them successfully.
Let us commit to the miracle of making each day work – together.” (Source)
Quotes from famous movies and TV shows to help you say “I Do”
There is a reason TV and movie writers get paid the big bucks — their eloquence.
So why not borrow inspiration from some of the most famous wedding vows and romantic quotes from television and movie history?
Below are a few to get you started.
69. Boy Meets World (Corey and Topanga)
“I wasn’t sure this day would ever come, but you were. I wasn’t sure love could survive everything we put it through, but you were. You were always strong and always sure. And now I know I want you to stand beside me for the rest of my life. That’s what I’m sure of.” (Source)
70. Runaway Bride
“Look, I guarantee there’ll be tough times. I guarantee… at some point, one or both of us is gonna want to get out of this thing. But, I also guarantee that if I don’t ask you to be mine, I’ll regret it the rest of my life. Because I know in my heart… you’re the only one for me.” (Source)
71. The Lord of the Rings
“I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.” (Source)
72. The Notebook
“So it’s not going to be easy. It’s going to be really hard. And we are going to have to work at this every day. But I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, every day.” (Source)
73. The Nightmare before Christmas
“My dearest friend, if you don’t mind, I’d like to join you by your side. Where we can gaze into the stars, and sit together, now and forever. For it is plain as anyone can see, we’re simply meant to be.” (Source)
74. Madea’s Family Reunion: Vanessa and Frankie
Vanessa: “I never thought that I could meet someone like you. You are my friend. You are my smile. You are my everything. You are a breathtaking reflection of God’s heart for me…of how he pursued me and loved me even when I didn’t love myself. You held my hand in the darkness, and you pulled me out into the light. I love you.”
Frankie: “You are my light. And it doesn’t matter what happens in this life as long as you’re with me. When I look at you, I know that there’s a God and that he loved me so much that he took the time to create you just for me. I love you…past my mind…beyond my heart…I love you for my soul. And that’s the space where only you and God dwell.” (Source)
75. When Harry Met Sally
“I love that you get cold when it’s 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you’re looking at me like I’m nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it’s not because I’m lonely, and it’s not because it’s New Year’s Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” (Source)
76. Friends: Monica & Chandler
Monica: “For so long I wondered if I would ever find my prince, my soulmate. Then three years ago at another wedding, I turned to a friend for comfort. And instead, I found everything that I’d ever been looking for my whole life. And now here we are, with our future before us, and I only want to spend it with you, my prince, my soulmate, my friend. Unless you don’t want to. You go!”
Chandler: “I thought this was going to be the most difficult thing I ever had to do. But when I saw you walking down the aisle, I realized how simple it was. I love you. You are the person I was meant to spend the rest of my life with.” (Source)
77. Parks & Rec (April & Andy)
“I guess I kind of hate most things, but I never really seem to hate you. So I wanna spend the rest of my life with you. Is that cool?” (Source)
78. Greys Anatomy (Derek & Meredith)
“To love each other even when we hate each other.
No running–ever. Nobody walks out no matter what happens.
We’ll take care of each other even when we’re old and smelly and senile.
This is forever.” (Source)
79. Chasing Amy
“I love you. Very simple, very truly. You’re the epitome of every attribute and quality I’ve ever looked for in another person… I can’t stand next to you without wanting to hold you. I can’t look into your eyes without feeling that longing you only read about in trashy romance novels. I can’t talk to you without wanting to express my love for everything you are… The Notebook I’ve never felt this before, and I like who I am because of it… There isn’t another soul on this… planet who’s ever made me half the person I am when I’m with you… I’m forever changed because of who you are and what you’ve meant to me.” (Source)
80. Sex & the City
“Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours.” (Source)
Whimsical wedding vows inspired by literature
For all of you bookworms out there, we have compiled some of the best literary quotes that can be used as wedding vows or to inspire you as you compose a masterpiece of your own.
81. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
“You have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on.” (Source)
82. Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare
“My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite.” (Source)
83. South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami
“Sometimes when I look at you, I feel I’m gazing at a distant star. It’s dazzling, but the light is from tens of thousands of years ago. Maybe the star doesn’t even exist anymore. Yet sometimes that light seems more real to me than anything.” (Source)
84. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
“I am nothing special; just a common man with common thoughts, and I’ve led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who’s ever lived: I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul; and to me, this has always been enough.” (Source)
85. Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne
“If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together…there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart…I’ll always be with you.” (Source)
86. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
“Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches… I have stayed these years in my hovel because of you. I have taught myself languages because of you. I have made my body strong because I thought you might be pleased by a strong body. I have lived my life with only the prayer that some sudden dawn you might glance in my direction. I have not known a moment in years when the sight of you did not send my heart careening against my rib cage. I have not known a night when your visage did not accompany me to sleep. There has not been a morning when you did not flutter behind my waking eyelids…
I love you. Okay? Want it louder? I love you. Spell it out, should I? I ell-oh-vee-ee why-oh-you. Want it backward? You love I…
I’ve been saying it so long to you, you just wouldn’t listen. Every time you said, ‘Farm Boy, do this’, you thought I was answering, ‘As you wish’, but that’s only because you were hearing wrong. ‘I love you’ was what it was, but you never heard.” (Source)
87. Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
“The future belongs to hearts even more than it does to minds. Love, that is the only thing that can occupy and fill eternity. In the infinite, the inexhaustible is requisite.” (Source)
88. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
“I have for the first time found what I can truly love – I have found you. You are my sympathy – my better self – my good angel; I am bound to you with a strong attachment. I think you good, gifted, lovely: a fervent, a solemn passion is conceived in my heart; it leans to you, draws you to my center and spring of life, wraps my existence about you – and, kindling in pure, powerful flame, fuses you and me in one.” (Source)
89. Atonement by Ian McEwan
“I never had a moment’s doubt. I love you. I believe in you completely. You are my dearest one. My reason for life.” (Source)
90. The Fault in our Stars by John Green
“I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labour has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.” (Source)
91. The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
“It has made me better loving you… it has made me wiser, and easier, and brighter. I used to want a great many things before, and to be angry that I did not have them. Theoretically, I was satisfied. I flattered myself that I had limited my wants. But I was subject to irritation; I used to have morbid sterile hateful fits of hunger, of desire. Now I really am satisfied, because I can’t think of anything better. It’s just as when one has been trying to spell out a book in the twilight, and suddenly the lamp comes in. I had been putting out my eyes over the book of life, and finding nothing to reward me for my pains; but now that I can read it properly I see that it’s a delightful story.” (Source)
92. Evelina by Frances Burney
“I revere you. I esteem and admire you above all human beings. You are the friend to whom my soul is attached as to its better half. You are the most amiable, the most perfect of women. And you are dearer to me than language has the power of telling… You are now all my own… How will my soul find room for its happiness? It seems already bursting!” (Source)
93. Mountain Thoughts by John Muir
“The sun shines not on us but in us. The rivers flow not past but through us. Thrilling, tingling, vibrating every fiber and cell of the substance of our bodies, making them glide and sing. The trees wave and the flowers bloom in our bodies as well as our souls, and every bird song, wind song, and tremendous storm song of the rocks in the heart of the mountains is our song, our very own, and sings our love.”
Musically-inspired wedding vows
Nothing quite says “I love you” like a classic love ballad.
If you find it easier to express yourself with music than words, you may enjoy drawing inspiration from these classic love tunes that work seamlessly as wedding vows.
Or, if you feel like busting a move, you could try mixing it up with a full performance like this daring groom.
94. “Real Love” by John Lennon
“Thought I’d been in love before,
But in my heart, I wanted more
Seems like all I really was doing
Was waiting for you” (Source)
95. “Forever” by The Beach Boys
“If every word I said could make you laugh, I’d talk forever. I ask the sky just what we had, it shone forever. If the song I sing to you could fill your heart with joy, I’d sing forever. I’ve been so happy loving you.” (Source)
96. “God Only Knows” by The Beach Boys
“I may not always love you
But long as there are stars above you
You never need to doubt it
I’ll make you so sure about it
God only knows what I’d be without you
If you should ever leave me
Though life would still go on believe me
The world could show nothing to me
So what good would living do me
God only knows what I’d be without you” (Source)
97. “At Last” by Etta James
“At last, my love has come along. My lonely days are over, and life is like a song … I found a dream that I can speak to, a dream that I could call my own … And here we are in heaven, for you are mine at last.” (Source)
98. “Be my Wife” by David Bowie
Sometimes you get so lonely,
Sometimes you get nowhere,
I’ve lived all over the world,
I’ve left every place.
Please be mine,
Share my life,
Stay with me,
Be my wife. (Source)
99. “Flaws & All” by Beyonce
“I don’t know why you love me. And that’s why I love you. You catch me when I fall. Accept me flaws and all. And that’s why I love you. I neglect you when I’m working. When I need attention I tend to nag. I’m a host of imperfection. And you see past all that. I’m a peasant by some standards. But in your eyes, I’m a queen. You see potential in all my flaws. And that’s exactly what I mean.” (Source)
100. “Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Elvis Presley
“Some things are meant to be, take my hand, take my whole life too, for I can’t help falling in love with you.” (Source)
101. “Thank You” by Led Zeppelin
“If the sun refused to shine
I would still be loving you
When mountains crumble to the sea
There would still be you and me
Kind woman, I give you my all
Kind woman, nothing more
Little drops of rain
Whisper of the pain
Tears of loves lost in the days gone by
Our love is strong
With you, there is no wrong
Together we shall go until we die.” (Source)
102. “Forever Man” by Eric Clapton
“How many times must I tell you babe,
How many bridges I’ve got to cross?
How many times must I explain myself
Before I can talk to the boss,
‘Fore I can talk to the boss?
How many times must I say I love you
Before you finally understand?
Won’t you be my forever woman?
I’ll try to be your forever man,
Try to be your forever man.” (Source)
103.“True Love” by Cole Porter
“Oh, how lucky we are
While I give to you and you give to me
True love, true love
So on and on it will always be
True love, true love
For you and I have a guardian angel
On high, with nothing to do
But to give to you and to give to me
Love forever, true
For you and I have a guardian angel
On high, with nothing to do
But to give to you and to give to me
Love forever, true” (Source)
104. “Marry You” by Bruno Mars
“It’s a beautiful night,
We’re looking for something dumb to do
I think I want to marry you
Is it the look in your eyes?
Or is it these dancing juice?
Who cares baby
I think I wanna marry you” (Source)
105. “Better Together” by Jack Johnson
“Love is the answer,
At least for most of the questions in my heart.
Like, Why are we here and where do we go,
And how come it’s so hard?
It’s not always easy,
And sometimes life can be deceiving,
I’ll tell you one thing:
It’s always better when we’re together.” (Source)
Real wedding vows to inspire your own
If you are curious to see some examples of totally unique, real-life wedding vows in action, this is the place for you.
Below we include wedding vows from people just like you to inspire you to put pen to paper and make your love heard. If these real-life brides and grooms did it, how hard can it be?
106. “I could stand here and tell you how much I love you, but those words mean nothing unless they are shown through repeated little acts of devotion.
I vow to celebrate with you when the Patriots win and blame Bill Belichik for everything when they lose.
I vow to keep reminding you McDonald’s is unhealthy and to go get that mole checked because I want to live long, happy lives by each other’s side.
I vow to stay silly, to never take ourselves too seriously, and stay just immature enough for grilled cheese and breakfast for dinner.
I vow to trust and value your opinions.
I vow to travel beside you through all of life’s adventures.
I vow to always keep fighting for us, because I know we can overcome any uphill battles we might face.
And lastly, I vow that I will choose you every day, a million times over, not because I have to, but because I want to.” (Source)
107. “I vow to be faithful in sickness and in health, during times of want and plenty.
I will encourage you to grow and change.
I vow to be your family in distance and in closeness, in sorrow and in triumph.
I will build a life with you.
I vow to make time to be outdoors with you.
I will be brave when crossing creeks.
I vow to use a recipe as a guideline when fixing meals.
I will delight in our many adventures and challenges.
I vow to laugh with you in good times and to solace you when you are downhearted.
I will come to mutual decisions with you.
I vow to be a quality roommate.
I will wash more dishes.
I vow to tolerate your icy toes.
I will continue to play with you until we grow old and decrepit.
I’ve seen your kindness and your strength. I’ve seen you patient and frayed.
I will strive to not take you for granted.
You are my favorite person, and I choose you to be my partner in life.
I vow to take you as my husband.
My heart is yours.
Will you exchange your heart for mine?
Will you be my family?” -Angela Melissa (Source)
108. “I pledge to love you, honor you and respect you every day (with patience, maturity and not a single ounce of ‘tude). I vow to protect you and our family — our little people — to the best of my ability. I will do whatever it takes to provide for us, even if that means teaching English or revamping Prettyboy Promotions and partying in bars five nights a week. I promise to be a good brother-in-law and exemplary son-in-law.
I don’t take these vows lightly, and I know things will not always be easy. When we have a fight or encounter a problem, I will work through it, no matter how insurmountable it seems, and treat this marriage like the partnership it is. Carrie Alice Ainsworth, you are the love of my life. You are my muse. And standing before me today, you are the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen. When I tell you that I love you, you always respond by saying, ‘I love you more.’ Well, I want you to know that I love you most. Forever, for always.” —Jonathan Abrams (Source)
109. “I am truly blessed to be a part
of your life, which as of today
becomes our life together.
I promise to encourage your
dreams, because that is what
makes you so unique.
I promise to celebrate the joy
of every day with you.
I promise to stand by your side
through life’s most joyous
moments and challenging ones.
I promise to be kind, patient
I promise to always honor
your passion for hockey.
I promise to always remember
that laughter is life’s sweetest
creation, and I will never stop
laughing with you.
But most of all, I promise to
be your true companion always.
For one lifetime with you could
never be enough.” – Kristin Van Handel to Dennis Russo (Source)
110. “You are my lover and my teacher,
You are my model and my accomplice,
And you are my true counterpart.
I will love you, hold you and honor you,
I will respect you, encourage you and cherish you,
In health and sickness,
Through sorrow and success,
For all the days of my life.” – Amy & Russell (Source)
111. “We chose each other for a reason, so let’s remember the love that we feel today for the rest of our lives. You are my best friend, and your infectious spirit is inspirational. I am going to wake up every day wanting to be more like you. I am the luckiest guy I know because you will be my wife, and I will be your husband. I love you so much!” —John Creighton to Lindsey White (Source)
112. “I promise to pray with you, to dream with you, to build a family with you and to encourage you.
I admire you. Simply because of your kind soul, tender heart, and positive mindset. I especially appreciate your endearing sense of humor. I am ever so grateful for your love and selflessness. In return, I offer these promises.
I promise you my everlasting devotion, my loyalty, and my respect. I promise to love you unconditionally and to grow with you in mind, body, and spirit. I promise to pray with you, to dream with you, to build a family with you and to encourage you. I promise to share in your joys and sorrows and all that God has to offer us.
You are my forever, my best friend, my dream come true and now my husband. With these words and all the words of my heart, I marry you and bind my life to yours. Forever and always. I love you.” (Source)
113. “James, to be honest, I feel like the most blessed girl in the world. I have not only found my life-long companion, the lover of my heart, but my soul mate. Thank you for standing by me and sticking with me through thick and thin; for seeing the person that’s before you now. James, you believed in me when I didn’t even believe in myself and for that, I love you so much.
I promise you I will look after you and cherish you. I promise to do these things because I have been given you, James, the most amazing gift I could ever have. Know that I love you with all my heart. So I’m so happy and chuffed to call myself your wife!” (Source)
114. “I promise to see you and hear you. I promise to be your best friend. I promise that you’ll always be my girl.” John Paul & Camille (Source)
115. “I remember once how I told you I did not believe in soulmates. I will never forget your reaction. Shocked and a little hurt that I did not think we were. But as time went by, your love made me believe.” Jessica + Greg (Source)
116. “B, today I take you to be my husband and my companion for life. Your love, loyalty, and brilliance inspire me to be the best person I can be. I pledge to walk this journey with you over rough roads and smooth, in conflict and tranquility, to share your joys and split your sorrows. I vow to create a home with you that is filled with art, good food, tea, love, and laughter. I promise to be your shelter and your support. I am yours, from this day until the end of days.” (Source)
117. “Rupal, since we met, loving you has been effortless, natural, and indescribable. We have grown over the years, and I promise to continue to grow with you. Your ambition inspires me. Your simplicity comforts me. You challenge me, and I know that I will challenge you.
I promise to embrace life with your enthusiasm, seeking life’s next adventure with courage and optimism. I will love you — a trusting, respectful, and passionate love — always and forever.” —Mitchel & Rupal (Source)
118. “As your wife, I promise you this,
To love and fall more in love with you each day.
To cherish every moment we have together.
To respect and honour you for the rest of my life.
To be open and honest with you.
To support you in all your heart’s desires.
To follow you wherever you may go.
To make God the centre of our marriage and to push us into the things he has for us.
To be faithful to you for the rest of my days.” (Source)
119. “I love that you open doors for
little old ladies.
I love that you would spend
your last five dollars just to see
somebody else happy.
I love that you have “blonde
moments”—like thinking Jamaica
is part of Hawaii. But more than
that, I love that you can laugh
at them afterward.
I love that you’re strong
and honorable, yet warm and
compassionate, loving and
accepting of all people.
But most of all, I love that you
and I both love each other so much.
I promise to stand by you, and
to be the president of your fan club.
I promise to never let anything
come between us, to fight for us,
to love you through good times
and challenging times, and to
always maintain a sense of humor
and adventure as we take our next
steps together into the unknown
and beautiful future.” Brooke & Steven (Source)
120. “I see these vows not as promises but as privileges: I get to laugh with you and cry with you; care for you and share with you. I get to run with you and walk with you; build with you and live with you.” Yuval & Dina (Source)
121. “I promise to help us navigate the highs and lows of our future together. I promise to not always follow a schedule and to learn to fly by the seat of my pants. I promise to hold your hand when times get turbulent and to run alongside you when the wind’s at our backs. I can’t wait to spend the rest of our lives as husbands and co-pilots on this adventure together.” Pat & Billy (Source)
122. “I promise to be your navigator, consoler, sidekick, best friend, and your husband. Finally, I promise you myself.” Eddie & Allie (Source)
123. “In all the wrong, you make right, and through all the bad, you see the good. I love you for the man that you are when you are with me, and for the person you make of me when I am with you.” Lisa & Melvin (Source)
124. “I promise to love you every day in a way that befits a queen. I will protect and wait on you, and I promise to support you blindly. I will listen to you earnestly and communicate honestly with you. I promise to trust you completely. I hereby vow to share life, love, and the pursuit of happiness with you, as long as we both shall live.” —Chris & Katie (Source)
125. “You are my best friend, my teammate, and my strength. Because of you I have learned to worry a little less, dance a little more, dream a little bigger, and enjoy every aspect of life.” Scott & Wendy (Source)
126. “I want to start by telling you how much I love you. Yes, I love how handsome you are, and how you’re cut like an action figure, but that’s just the icing on the cake. The absolute best part about you is your kind heart. You are the most giving, selfless person I know and I thank God every day that you have given all of your love to me, without any hesitation.
I promise to walk with you, hand in hand through life, as your biggest fan, your shoulder to lean on, and your best friend.
With kindness, respect and trust, I promise to stick by your side through the challenges and triumphs to create a wonderful life together. I promise to take care of you. Because if I don’t, you would actually eat pizza for every single meal for the rest of your life.
I don’t know if this counts, but I can basically promise to evenly distribute my cuddle time between you and Pablo.
I promise to laugh with you every day, to dance with you in the kitchen and to not rub it in when I beat you in horse.
You’re the one I want to binge watch The Office with forever.
Your arms are the ones I want wrapped around me at the beginning and end of each day.
Your infectious smile is the one I want our kids to have.
You’re the one I want to love completely and forever.” (Source)
127. “I promise faithfulness and patience, respect and lightheartedness, attentiveness and self-improvement. I will celebrate your triumphs, and love you all the more for your failures.” Christopher & Ken (Source)
128. “My sweetie, my bride, wonderful things happen to those who keep trying. Since the first time I met you, I wanted to make you happy, even when you draw those pictures of me that show me with less hair than I like to think I have. Now your happiness is my guide, and I will love you for every second of the rest of my life.” Darcy & Andy (Source)
129. “I have all of the stars with you. I have finally found my home, and it’s in you. I’ve never been this sure about love in my entire life, and I cherish every moment we spend together. Being with you has made my life interesting and complete. And if you ever find yourself asking, ‘How long will I love you?’ you already know the answer to that. I, choose you, to be my wife. I will respect you, care for you, and grow with you through good times and hard times, as your friend, companion, and partner, giving all that I can to fulfill our lives together.” (Source)
130. “I call upon my friends and family present here today, to witness that I love you.
I promise that I will love you, protect you, and respect you as my equal partner,
From this day forward, and every day that we are together.
I promise to trust you, be honest with you, and always support you until our days should end.
I promise to share with you my patience and understanding, in good times and
in bad, and to stay by your side whatever life may throw at us.
For whatever comes our way, I am yours and you are mine, together until the end of time.” (Source)
131. “I take you to be my partner for life,
I promise above all else to live in truth with you
And to communicate fully and fearlessly,
I give you my hand and my heart
As a sanctuary of warmth and peace
And pledge my love, devotion, faith, and honor
As I join my life to yours.” Anne & Gabrielle (Source)
Get started on your vows in four easy steps with this handy wedding vows template
Feeling inspired but aren’t sure where to start?
This is actually more normal than you might think!
Writing heartfelt wedding vows is a seriously daunting task — even for the most seasoned writers out there.
In our experience, one easy way to put an end to writer’s block and get the ball rolling on your vows is to follow a wedding vows template of four easy steps.
Below, we outline these steps, that should make developing your own vows a breeze.
1. Make your love known
The first element that should be included in your wedding vows is always a declaration of your love.
This may sound intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be anything too grandiose.
Instead, just focus on sounding like yourself and try to incorporate these three key elements:
- State who they are (e.g. “You are my best friend,” “You are my rock,” etc.)
- Share what you value about them (e.g. “I love your optimism,” “You always make me laugh when I’m down,” etc.)
- Declare your love (Literally – say “I love you.”
2. Get specific
One of the best things about writing your own wedding vows is that they are totally unique to your relationship.
So don’t be afraid to incorporate important elements of your relationship into your vows.
Some examples include:
- Sharing relationship “firsts” such as when you met, your first date, or even your first fight (and resolution)
- Incorporating other important moments from your relationship such as pivotal moments, shared memories, or even your engagement story!
3. Don’t forget your promises
Wedding vows are called vows because they include making promises to your partner, so no vows would be complete without some well thought out promises to your husband or wife to be.
These promises can be serious, for example, “I promise to stand by your side in good times and bad,” or more lighthearted, like “I promise to never argue with you when I’m hungry.”
And according to Tailored Fit Photography, “the best vows are a beautiful balance of seriousness and humor.”
4. Look into the future
You may not be a psychic, but this doesn’t mean you can’t imagine what your future will look like with your partner as you grow old together.
According to the wedding experts at LoveStoriesTV, “Painting a picture of what married looks like together down the road is a uniquely personal way to say ‘I choose you, forever.’
Tips (and a few examples) for couples planning a vow renewal
So maybe it isn’t your first rodeo when it comes to wedding vows.
Whether you are planning a vow renewal to reaffirm your commitment, to start your marriage out on a fresh page, or just because a vow renewal is a beautiful idea with a lot of meaning behind it.
When it comes to wedding vows at a renewal, many couples choose to state similar vows to their originals.
However, nothing is stopping you from creating a totally new set of vows.
If you have decided to compose new wedding vows for your vow renewal ceremony, here are a few tips to keep in mind.
1. Draw on your years of experience together
What have you learned from your time being married?
Be it five years, twenty years, or even fifty, you have definitely learned a thing or two about what marriage means to you over your time as husband and wife.
Use this experience to inspire your vows.
2. Consider your memories
After many years together, you most certainly have some important memories and experiences that have shaped your marriage.
Look back on these shared experiences, and share the stories that have been meaningful to you during your years of marriage.
3. Highlight milestones
If you are a couple that has been together for many years, you most likely have reached quite a few milestones in your relationship.
Some might include your engagement, your original wedding day, having children (or grandchildren!), or buying a home!
Incorporating these elements into your vow renewal will make it extra meaningful.
4. Seek inspiration
Similarly to wedding vows, it is important to seek outside inspiration when it comes to vow renewals.
This inspiration can include poetry, movies, songs, and reading different types of wedding vows.
Seeking inspiration will help light the spark to create meaningful vows for your renewal ceremony.
And as promised, here a few examples of vow renewals that we love:
“________, in the past I have taken you for granted. I have put others before you. I have done things I am not proud of. And I have often been wrong. On the other hand, I have always loved you and stood beside you. I am here today to move forward with a renewed commitment to you, our love, and our lives together. I pledge that from this day forward you will be my number one priority. I promise to be there for you in all that life brings our way. It is because of you that I am here today and I vow to give you all that I am and all that I have for the rest of our lives together. This is my solemn promise.” (Source)
“_____, I bring myself to you this day to recommit my life to you. You can trust my love, for it’s real. I promise to be a faithful mate, and to unfailingly share and support your hopes, dreams, and goals. I vow to be there for you always.” (Source)
“My dearest love, as we stand here today, I think back to all the wonderful memories we have shared. There is no greater feeling in life than to have your best friend by your side every day. Though we have had our struggles, our love has been strong enough to conquer it all.
I am thankful for you being in my life each and every day. You are more a man than I ever imagined could come into my life. You are confident, independent, caring, nurturing, and supportive. You make every day on earth a day worth waking up for.
My wish today is that as we say these renewals you, my love, will once again say “I do” you are my world and my everything. For you, I give my heart, soul, body, and mind every second of every day. I take you today not only as my husband yet again, but as my best friend and lover, my confidant, my shoulder when I need to cry, and the person whose arms I could not picture being without.
Today I pledge to be by your side, to be your strength when you are weak, to never leave you, to be understanding, and to keep being the wife you deserve. With this said “I do” take you my faith and loving husband to have and to hold, for better or worse, until death do us part.” (Source)
How to write second marriage vows (and, of course, a few wedding vow ideas too!)
If you are planning your second wedding and are unsure where to start when it comes to your vows, you are not alone.
You may have mixed feelings about the fact that you have been married before, feel that you need to downplay your previous marriage, or like your second wedding isn’t as important as your first one.
However, finding love again is most definitely something to celebrate and be proud of and your second marriage vows should be just as meaningful (if not more meaningful!) than before.
Similarly to wedding vows the first time around or vow renewals you will want to focus on key elements such as:
- Why you love the other person and what makes them special
- Important moments in your relationship together
- Promises that you want to make to them
- Your hopes and dreams for your future together
As with all wedding vows, it is also critical to seek inspiration from outside sources as you develop your totally unique wedding vows, and this means looking to sources like love poems, famous quotes, and, most importantly, examples of wedding vows.
In addition to the 131 sample wedding vows that we shared above, here are a few lovely examples of second marriage vows done right.
“(Bride/Groom), [Life/God] has given us a second chance at love. I come today to give you my heart and my hope for our future together. I promise to bring you joy, to be at home with your spirit and to learn to love you more each day, through all the days of our lives. My love for you is endless and eternal.” (Source)
“Because of you, I laugh, I smile, I dare to dream again. I look forward with great joy to spending the rest of my life with you, caring for you, nurturing you, being there for you in all life has in store for us, and I vow to be true and faithful for as long as we both shall live.” (Source)
“I marry you with my eyes wide open. You have helped me let go of the past, and I embrace the future. Thank you for making me laugh again. Bless you for taking my hand as we begin anew.” (Source)
It doesn’t matter if it is your first time down the aisle, a vow renewal after many years together, or a second marriage with a fresh start — the love you are promising one another in your wedding vows is the reason you are coming together to celebrate.
Finding the ultimate wedding vows varies for every couple.
For some, sticking to traditional wedding vows that are rich in meaning is the perfect fit, while others may prefer to write their own from scratch or piece together vows from various sources of inspiration.
No matter what you come up with, we are sure your vows will be filled with meaning and set a beautiful tone for your marriage.
And now we’d love to hear from you!
Are there any traditional vows we overlooked?
Do you have any tips or advice on writing wedding vows?
Let us know in the comments below!